Houston recently became the 5th largest metropolitan area in the country. Oil and gas might not be great for the environment, but they are hella good for fueling the growth of good old H Town. What do all these people need most? You guess it … A cheap and easy place to fill kegs for their kegerator.
Best Places to Fill a Keg in Houston
1. Specs – I would be remiss to the point of being criminal if I didn’t start with Houston’s own bad mama jama of a liquor store. Whether you need some fancy ass olives, a huge sandwich or ten kegs of Shiner for an intimate party, this place has you covered. Specs has been in business since 1962. The newer stores feel more like Walmarts than places to buy a little hooch and a pack of squares. The best part of picking Specs is that they have locations all over the city. The only downside is that prices can be on the higher side.
|Beer||Half Barrel Price|
|512 Brewing - Pecan Porter||$168.40|
|Ballast Point - Sculpin IPA||$291.30|
|Big Sky - Moose Drool||$188.90|
|Boulevard - Unfiltered Wheat||$188.90|
|Buffalo Bayou - Sams Daily Cream Ale||$104.90|
|Guns & Oil Maverick Lager||$174.70|
|Harpoon - UFO White||$161.80|
|Karbach - Mother-In-Lager||$192.90|
|Karbach Sympathy for the Lager||$179.90|
|Karbach Weisse Versa Wheat||$179.90|
|Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat||$157.80|
|Live Oak Big Bark Amber Lager||$187.70|
|Live Oak HefeWeizen||$188.90|
|Live Oak Liberation Ale||$206.90|
|Live Oak Pilz||$187.70|
|Live Oak Primus Weizenbock||$208.40|
|Lone Pint 667: Neighbor of the Beast IPA||$206.90|
|Magic Hat #9||$161.80|
|Miller High Life||$73.67|
|New Belgium - Ranger IPA||$182.60|
|New Belgium - Seasonal||$182.60|
|Rahr & Sons - Blonde Lager||$175.90|
|Rahr & Sons - Texas Red Amber Lager||$161.60|
|Rahr & Sons - Ugly Pug Black Lager||$175.90|
|Ranger Creek - Oatmeal Pale Ale||$174.70|
|Revolver Blood and Honey||$232.90|
|Saint Arnold - Christmas Ale||$201.90|
|Saint Arnold - Santo||$188.90|
|Samuel Adams - Boston Lager||$182.60|
|Samuel Adams - Seasonal||$182.60|
|Sierra Nevada Pale Ale||$190.40|
|Stone Brewing IPA||$213.60|
2. Beverage Barn – If beverage barns don’t have a special nostalgic place in your heart, you probably didn’t grow up in Texas. This particular beverage barn is so massive and awesome it has two stalls to drive through and lists keg prices on their homepage. The other cool part of purchasing from the beverage barn is that they will refill your C02 tank for free with the purchase of any full size keg. This undoubtedly shows that they cater to our kind, the kegerator lovers and owners of the world. They are also pretty awesome for highlighting a special category on their website for just grain alcohol. I take that to mean these folks are serious about trying to fuck you up.
Delivery Note – Beverage Barn also rocks because they will deliver your keg within a 30 mile radio for only $25. The pickup fee is even cheaper at $13. They can help get you drunk and do it in a manner relatively safe from the law. I say relatively because you could still always act an ass with your freshly delivered keg and have your butt thrown in the pokey for a night.
9204 Richmond Avenue, Houston, TX 77063
3. D & Q Mini- Mart – unfortunately, these folks have yet to join the 21st century and build a website. We can forgive them though since they have such a good beer selection. I went ahead and linked to their Yelp page as a frame of reference. In addition to kegs, you can mix and match 6 and 12 packs. They also have glassware. The sign really says it all with these guys. They refer to themselves as “The Beer Station.”
Address:806 Richmond Ave, Houston, TX 77006 Phone:
Where to Fill Growlers in Houston
1. Growler’s Beer and Wine to Go – Mmm booze to go rocks. Reminds me of something you would read about those alcoholic cajuns to the east. They get bonus points for having some cool marketing that incorporates astronauts. They have a great menu with over 30 beers. They will fill sizes of 32 ounces, 64 ounces, 2 liters and 1 gallon.
1005 Waugh Drive, Houston TX 77019
2. Premium Draught – they fill growlers in 32 ounce and 64 ounce sizes. Reviews cite the owners genuine passion for beer and great overall environment.
733 Studewood St, Houston, Texas 77007
Monday – 4pm-9pm
Tuesday – Saturday 11am-9pm
Sunday – Noon – 9pm